Friday, December 17, 2010
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Developing faith in the Atma Principle and loving it earnestly is true worship. There is only one Divine Self. Feel that it is more loveable than any object here or hereafter—that is the true adoration you can offer to God. This is what the Vedas teach. The Vedas do not teach the acceptance of a bundle of frightfully hard rules and restrictions. They do not hold before you a prison house where man is shut in by the bars of cause and effect. They teach us that there is One who is the Sovereign behind all these rules and restrictions, One who is the core of each object, each unit of energy, each particle or atom and One under whose orders alone the five elements—ether, air, fire, water and earth—operate. Love Him, adore Him, worship Him - this is the grand philosophy of Love as elaborated in the Vedas.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
|BAMBOO:QUALITIES AND BENFITS|
Introduction: the school children are generally taught a couplet, which means that it is always good to keep a stick nearby as it has many qualities, if there is a lake it will save us. the stick, which has been mentioned, is nothing but bamboo. we know that bamboo has several uses but we are unaware of its medicinal uses.
bamboo is available in all parts of the country but it is mainly found in southern india and the states of orissa, assam, lower himalayas, valleys of ganges and indus. it grows naturally in the forests, but is cultivated in the cities. there are 550 different kinds of bamboo, here two or three types of main bamboo are being described.
1. dendro calamus atrictmus: it is straight, thin and solid. it belongs to the male species.
2. dendrocalamus giganteous: this also belongs to the male species. it is 20 to 120 feet long. when old, this bamboo turns green or yellow in color. this type of bamboo is very strong.
3. bamboo manma - these bamboos are of female species and are popular in the hilly areas as fat, hollow and catarrh bamboos. the white fluid inside the bamboos dries up and forms into a solid substance and is therefore known as banshlochan (manna obtained from bamboo, manna is a sugary substance). the real banshlochan (manna) is white in color or has bluish stripes, opaque, irregular in shapes and small-big pieces found between each node. it is very hard and does not break easily. it is not easily soluble in water. when water is poured on this manna it becomes transparent. the real manna is very expensive and can be manufactured through a chemical process.
external form: the bamboos are absolutely straight in groups having fixed thorns. this type of bamboo generally grows up to a height of 20 to 50 feet in shrubs. the stem is round with a thickness of 6 to 7 feet having several hollow and solid barks at a distance of 20 inches with different shapes of clear nodes, which are visible to the naked eye. the tree has no branches but three-fourthsof the tree, have more spines between each node. the leaves grow in bunches and are around 7 inches long with sharp front edges and rounded towards the circle.
flowers: the long branches have whitish red colored flowers bearing fruits, which are 1/3 inch in size and barley shaped. they are also called vanshyava, because of their shape and rice like grain grows in these fruits, which are called bamboo rice.
banshlochan (manna) contains silica, mandoor, potash, lime, alumina and somevegetable substances like colin carbohy-drates and several other substances.
it is rough, slightly hot, sweet essence, astringent taste, ripe, sweet, oily, buddy leaves, belonging to the barley species and hot in strength.
sweet astringent taste, sweet when ripe and cold in strength. it is healthy for the different humors of the body, increases the sperm. it is beneficial in thirst, cough, fever, respiratory disorders, bile due to tuberculosis, blood impurities, leprosy with jaundice, wounds, ulcers, jaundice, vata dosha and painful discharge of urine. besides it has other uses in abortion, pregnancy and post delivery.
offshoots of bamboo:
spicy, sour, pungent, bitter, slightly cold and beneficial in bleeding piles, burning sensation and gonorrhea.
the bamboo rice is pungent, sweet, strong, and nutritious and cure kapha, pitta dosha, removes toxic substances from the body and cures the disease in which the vital humors of the body are excreted through urine.
bamboo and bamboo with a hole are beneficial in curing painful discharge of urine, excretion of vital humors from the body, burning sensation of piles. the bamboo containing hole increases the fire in the stomach, cures indigestion, helps in digestion of food, relieves pain and enlargement of the heart and appetizing.
roots, leaves, offshoots, fruits, manna.
50 -100 mg, banshlochan (manna): 1-3 gm
1. burn the skin and roots of bamboo and mix it in vinegar. apply this lep (pack) on head. hair begins to grow on bald head.
2. take the ash of the roots of bamboo and mix it in chameli (jasmine flower) oil. this is very beneficial to cure baldness.
3. burn the roots and skin of bamboo and mix equal quantity of turmeric powder in their bhasm (ash) and make a fine powder. apply this on the scalp, it makes the hair strong and prevents hair loss.
4. grind the roots of bamboo and apply on the face and small-pox marks. the skin becomes beautiful.
itching: burn the bamboo leaves and apply on the area, where it is itching. this is a very effective medicine to stop itching.
1. burn the bamboo wood coals and make a powder. sprinkle this powder on the wounds to stop bleeding and fast healing. it also reduces the swelling.
2. pour the juice of tender shoots of bamboo to kill worms. tie a poultice of tender shoots of bamboo to heal the wound quickly.
1. banshlochan (manna) -1.250 mg,1 small cardamom seeds - 10 gm, avala (mylobaran) - 750 mg, black pepper—500 mg, small pippali - 250 mg. mix all the things and add pure surma (collyrium, black substance applied as eye-liner) equal to half of the sum total of all the ingredients. sieve with a thin cloth and apply in the eyes. this prevents all types of eye problems.
2. apply the oily substance accumulated on the stem and leaves of bamboo in the eyes. this is an effective medicine to cure cataract.
1. burn the roots of bamboo and massage the teeth. the teeth become clean and shining.
2. take equal proportions of banshlochan (manna), small cardamom seeds and samamstangi. grind all the things and store it in a safe place. massage the teeth with this powder twice daily, it cleans the plaque and dirt of the teeth and makes | the teeth sparkling white.
disease of the umbilicaltube tie the poultice of the bamboo shoots on the umbilical | tube. the disease is cured. burning sensation: burn the roots of bamboo and grind the bhasm (ash) in water. apply this on the hipbones to relieve pain.
hip pain: rub the fresh shoots of bamboo leaves in vinegar and apply on the back and hips. this reduces the pain.
expulsion of the placenta:
it is necessary to clean the uterus properly post delivery. boil 10 bamboo leaves in 200 gm of water and make a thick decoction till it reduces to 50 gm. sieve itand add lo gm of jaggery and drink it hot (as per convenience). this eases the process of childbirth and expulsion of placenta. it reduces the pain in the uterus and prevents excessive loss of blood.
1. if the female does not get proper menses or if the cycle is irregular, decoction of fresh bamboo leaves is highly beneficial.
2. the same medicine is good for cleaning the uterus.
3. at times the discharge and the placenta gets dried and sticks to the uterus post delivery. in such a case, break the knot and grind the barley. boil the barley in one liter water and reduce it to one-fourth quantity, then add one gm raw alum, 20 gm of jaggery. one dose of this medicine taken every morning will remove the placenta and clean the uterus.
massage the uterus with oil and give fomentation.
make haluva with wheat flour and jaggery syrup and give it to the patient. when the placenta is removed from the uterus, make a thick decoction with 6 -10 gm each of dry ginger and soy and add 20 gm of jaggery and give it to the patient regularly for one week. this cures all the disorders of the uterus and restores it's normal functioning.
painful and mild menstruation:
make a coarse powder of the bamboo knot. take 20 gm of this powder and 40 gm of soy seeds. boil both the things in one litre of water and reduce it to one-eighth of the quantity. add 25 gm of jaggery and give it to the patient. this is beneficial in curing painful and mild menstruation.
1. decoction of fresh bamboo leaves is beneficial in reducing the burning sensation and pain in the bladder.
2. boil 25 gm of bamboo leaves in 200 ml of water. reduce it to 40 ml' give this medicine to the patient with 5 gm of honey. this is beneficial to cure the urinary problems.
bamboo leaves are extremely beneficial to cure gonorrhea. dry the bamboo leaves in shade, take 6 gm of the dried leaves and mix it with 6 gm of anantmool powder. boil both the things in 400 ml of water till it reduces to 100ml. add3to4gmof sugarcandy in this decoction and give to the patient regularly for one or two weeks. disease in which vital humor get excreted, piles.
1. dry the bamboo leaves in shade, take 6 gm of the dried leaves and mix with 10 gm of anantmool powder. boil both the things in 300 ml of water add 10 gm of sugar candy in this decoction while making the decoction. boil the decoction till it reduces to one-eighth of the quantity and give to the patient regularly twice daily.
2.the patient suffering with piles should sit on the decoction prepared in this manner. this will reduce the burning sensation.
increases the fire in the stomach:
bamboo shoots are used as food in various ways. boil the fresh leaves or shoots and prepare pickle, vegetable or soup and include it in your diet. this is very beneficial in curing the indigestion and the digestive system functions properly. poison: extract the juice of bamboo leaves and add jaggery powder. give one dose of this medicine to reduce the effect of poison. dog bite:
1 .when a dog bites the person, its poison enters-the body. grind the roots of bamboo in milk and give it to the person, the poison will be removed.
2. grind the bamboo shoots and roots in cow milk and give to the person every morning for 15 days. this will remove the effect of poison in the body.
rub the bamboo knot in water and heat it lukewarm. give this to the children suffering with dry cough.
jointpain: grind the knots of bamboo, heat it little and tie the poultice on the painful area.
1. in case of any type of injury, grind the bamboo skin and make a fine powder and give one dose with grounded jaggery.
2. injury causes acute pain and burning sensation in the blood and on the skin. in this case make a decoction with bamboo skin. let it cool, add honey and give it to the person twice or thrice daily. this is very beneficial to reduce the dehydration due to consumption of excess liquor and burning sensation due to the effect of toxic substances.
uses of banshlochan (manna)
1. 1.250 to 2.500 mg of banshlochan with honey cures dry cough.
2. one gm banshlochan powder, 395 mg of pippali powder. add both the things in honey and give two to three dose daily to cure breathing and cough problem.
fever due to indigestion:
500 gm banshlochan, 500 gm of giloy satva (extract), 250 gm of pippali powder. add all the things with honey and give three doses daily. this medicine cures the fever due to indigestion.
take 500 gm of banshlochan with ghee or honey thrice daily. this will heal the wounds.
secretion of vital humors from the body banshlochan rasa (essence), pure nagkesar and seeds of cardamom. take equal proportion of these things, grind them and sieve it with a thin cloth. grease it with sandal oil and make small pills. give one pill each in the morning and evening with 50 ml water added with 6 gm of grounded jaggery. this dose reduces the burning sensation in case of gonorrhea and completely cures the disease within seven days. this pill is beneficial in all types of secretions of the vital humors.
chapatti made out of wheat flour, ghee and grounded jaggery should be given to the patient.
burning sensation in urine:
1. in the above- mentioned pill do not grease it with sandal oil and give only one and a half or three gm of powder with sugar candy and milk.
2.a dose of banshlochan with gokharu drops with swarasa (essence) of gokharu reduces the burning sensation of the urine.
3.make curds with raw milk, add banshlochan powder, gokharu and sugar candy. this medicine cures burning sensation in the stomach.
take 2 gm of banshlochan powder and 10 gm of bamboo rasa and mix it with sugar candy.
mix banshlochan, small cardamom, white catechu (katha) and geru in equal quantities and make a powder. put a small quantity of this powder in mouth at small intervals. take 40 gm of rose petals and make gulkand, add 2 to 3 gm of banshlochan and give twice or thrice daily.
mix banshlochan with honey and apply the lep (pack) on the mouth ulcers.
consume one gm of banshlochan everyday or take it with praval pishti, abhrak bhasm (ash of mica), shilajit and other medicines.
if there is a chance of abortion, take one gm of banshlochan, add 125 mg of kalbul haj. grind both the things separately and mix them. take this medicine twice or thrice to prevent abortion. a boon for childless
1. take the lotus stem and grate it. take out the green portion, which lies in the middle of the stem and add equal quantity of banshlochan. make a fine powder with both the things and add sugar candy in double proportion. take this medicine twice or thrice daily with cow milk to be blessed with a baby.
2. the children have the habit of eating sand. give them a cake of banshlochan to get rid of this habit.
3. this medicine also prevents the habit of eating sand in the pregnant ladies and makes them healthy.
dalchini 10 gm small cardamom
seeds: 20 gm
small pipal : 40 gm
banshlochan: 80 gm
sugar candy: 160 gm
grind all the things separately, sieve it with a cloth and store it safely. give two to four gm of this powder with honey to cure phlegm related diseases.
in case of wind and bile related problems, consume banshlochan first with ghee and then half quantity with honey.
this powder cures dry cough, respiratory disorders, bleeding from the mouth, burning sensation in the hands and legs, pain in the ribs, fever due to indigestion and humors, weakness in children, burning sensation in the eyes, throat etc.
a pregnant lady should take this powder for 4 to 6 months to give birth to a healthy baby. the same preparation can be used in the last month of pregnancy to induce labor. 10 m of sitopaladi churna
10 gm of pure ghee made out of buffalo milk
keep both the things in glass or mud vessel and pour the freshly extracted buffalo milk and consume it twice daily for two months.
excess consumption of banshlochan is harmful for the sex and lungs. honey, mastangi (a kind of gum), saffron, unnav (jejube fruit used in medicine) and eluva (wormwood) have the capacity to remove the harmful effects.
en Ways Bamboo Can Make You Healthier
From diet pills to air purifiers, people are always looking for a way to make themselves healthier. It's easier to make yourself healthier if you begin using a product that has been around for millennia, the bamboo plant. This woody grass is not only good outside your body but eating the shoots are good for inside your body as well and can help you stay healthy, or improve your overall health. Ten ways that bamboo can make you healthier include:
- No allergic reaction - Many people are allergic to natural fibers, such as wool. Bamboo has had the smallest number of allergic reactions with people, barely having any.
- Wicks away moisture - By wicking away moisture from skin, the wet skin doesn't have time to build up any bacterial colonies and also keeps from developing the rashes that wet skin can develop when irritated.
- Anti-bacterial - Bamboo is aggressively anti-bacterial. It has a natural property called bamboo kun that kills up to 70% of any bacteria attempting to incubate on the bamboo, be it in its natural form or fabric.
- Deodorizing - In today's world, people use more and more chemicals to ensure that they will smell pleasant to others. A way to overcome this is to take advantage of the deodorizing properties of bamboo in your clothing.
- Breathable - Healthy skin can't be confined inside tight clothing all the time. This can lead to rashes and other skin problems. Bamboo fabric is breathable; it doesn't cling to the skin even when the wearer is sweating profusely.
- Sustains temperature - Bamboo fabric is amazing in that it sustains a temperature fairly well. It keeps people cool when it's warm, and warm when it's colder out, and a normal body temperature is important for good health.
- Circulation - According to Salts Organic Clothing, bamboo fabric can actually be good for your circulation. Bamboo molecules absorb energy from the atmosphere, and then transfer them into energy for your body, promoting cell activation and good circulation.
- Blocks ultraviolet rays - The reason many beach cover ups are being made with bamboo is because bamboo naturally blocks the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. This is important for healthy skin, especially for children and women who are pregnant.
- Low in fat - According to the Washington State Extension Service Brochure, bamboo shoots have been found to be low in fat and calories, which people are always concerned with when trying to eat healthy.
- High in nutrients - Bamboo shoots are also good for you because they are an excellent source of two nutrients that human bodies really need, fiber, and potassium. One serving of bamboo shoots can provide 10% of the fiber a human needs a day.
All of these reasons are great examples of why bamboo makes a person healthier. But don't just take our word for it, go out and find some bamboo sheets or a t-shirt, or have a healthy serving of bamboo shoots. You'll be feeling healthy in no time.