Saturday, November 27, 2010

I’m C2 and Fat-free

I’m C2 and Fat-free


Several years ago I heard about a fellow who returned a phone call and when the phone was answered the response was, “286-7495.”  The gentleman replied, “Yes, I’m returning Mr. Anderson’s call,” and the operator said, “Who is this?”  He responded, “233-9191.”

It seems to be true that many people have become mere numbers in our non-caring, technological world.  This was brought home to me recently when I checked in at the gate for one of my numerous flights.  When I showed my ticket with the boarding pass to the gate agent, he picked up his microphone and said to the flight attendant aboard, “C2 is here.”  What he meant was simply that I had seat C2 and was now aboard. I kind of laughed and said to the fellow, “Well, that’s the first time I’ve been identified as a seat number.”  He smiled as I walked aboard the airplane where I sat down and we took off.  When meal-time came, the flight attendant began listing the menu choices for the passengers.  When he got to me I said, “I believe I have a special meal.”  He turned to another attendant and said, “Fat-free is here.”  Since I prefer to be called Zig, I’m glad the names C2 and fat-free did not stick.

I find it to be amusing and yet, in a strange way, a little sad that we’ve reached that point in life when we can so casually deal with each other as a number or a letter.  That’s especially true at this time in our history when mergers, downsizing, rightsizing, buy-outs, early retirement and bankruptcy have created stress and fear in the marketplace. Today, people need hope and encouragement, combined with genuine care and concern from those with whom we deal on a regular basis.  When we pay our bills with a check or credit card, we like to be called by name.  I’m not “C-2? and “fat-free,” I’m a human being – and so are you.  So let’s treat each other that way

No comments:

Post a Comment